Animal Spotting Tips
Witnessing the normal activities of animals wandering in their natural habitat is an experience that you would love to cherish for a long time. While experienced travelers are well aware about the dos and don'ts of animal spotting, first timers may fail to enjoy the real charm for being ignorant of some basic things related to animal spotting.
Let's have a look at our well researched list of tips on animal spotting that will help you better experience the wildlife:
- Once you have decided where to go, it's advisable to do proper research about the destination you are going. Buy some good journals related to the place or some quality travel guides and get an overview of the place. You can have a look at the reputed websites as well to know the rules and regulations to be followed in and outside the premise.
- It is advisable to take help of a local guide or a naturalist who knows the area better. There are certain species of animals who are masters of stealth and can carry out an ambush attack; the local guide is the best person to handle such an eventuality and keep you safe.
- Most of the wild animals have unique seasonal as well as daily activities and they behave accordingly. If one can have a brief idea about their choice and usual living pattern, chances of spotting them increases.
- The frequency of spotting wildlife in reserve forest and national parks varies a lot. Moreover, it depends on the time of the year when you are going to visit the place. In India the best period for sighting wildlife is February to May. During this period, trees often shed their leaves and are left bare which enhances visibility. However, this time of the year mostly remains dry and animals in search of water gather around whatever water sources that are left.
- Animals have a high sense of awareness which helps them to survive in the wild and to protect themselves from different natural calamities. Thus visitors are advised to wear clothes with neutral colour like deep green, brown or grey. These colours easily blend with the surroundings and reduce the chances of attracting animals.
- Animals are always worried of the human voice. The moment they get to know that human beings are closer to them, they try to hide themselves. So, visitors are advised to maintain as much silence as they can. If you are on foot, be aware of walking on dry leaves or branches. Always keep it in mind that the moment any creature hears your footstep, it will hide itself.
- If you are enjoying a jeep safari, that is good, but try to maintain as much peace as you can. If you are in a group, do not shout. Try to follow the guidelines made by the authority.
- Animals have a strong sense of smell which helps them to smell prey from miles. So, your life can be in danger at any point of time. Avoid using perfumes, powder, or soaps which have very strong smell.
- It's better avoiding new clothes while going inside the jungle. Before heading to the forest wear the same attire three to four days regularly, so that it can absorb the natural smell of dust and other outdoor elements. Better not to wear washed clothes. The used clothes lessen the scope of disturbing wildlife.
- It's advisable to the visitors not to disturb any wild animal going closer to them. There are many animals which are ferocious enough and their attack can be life-threatening. Thus it is better using binocular to spot those wonderful gifts of nature. Moreover, for seeing nesting birds or other younger species of wildlife, this is the only medium.
- Those who are interested in experimenting with the micro organisms or flowers should carry a magnifying glass for observing the desired objects more closely.